A lighter version of carnitas using chicken that is cooked in the slow cooker before being broiled until slightly crispy on the edges and moist and tender in middle!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 6 hours | Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes | Servings: 4
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3/4 cup orange juice (~2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (~2 limes)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, torn
- salsa to taste (I like a salsa verde here)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker along with the mixture of the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on low until tender, about 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken, mix in 1/4 cup of the juices, spread it out in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil until it starts getting crispy, about 5 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup of the juices, mix everything up and broil for another 5 minutes before mixing in another 1/4 cup of the juices.
- Assemble the tacos on the tortillas with the chicken carnitas along with the onions, cilantro an salsa and serve with the lime wedges.
Adapted From: closetcooking.com