- 12-16 large scallops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon dice
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic (leave whole)
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- pasta of your choice (like Linguine, Spaghetti)
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure skillet is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don’t move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven.
- Start cooking pasta.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and 3/4 of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and 1/2 green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
- Arrange pasta on plate, top with seared scallops, add some fresh ground pepper, grated parmesan, and green onions.
Note: Serves 4, Cooking time 30 minutes